Thursday, August 21, 2008

If you can't buy organic...

Wow, I'm amazed at how the price of food is shooting up--yikes! And it's not as if organic food starts out cheap, either. Ideally, an all-organic diet is best. But if you can't, our buddies at Environmental Working Group did tests of pesticides in foods and decided these are the lowest:

  • Broccoli
  • Eggplant
  • Cabbage
  • Banana
  • Kiwi
  • Asparagus
  • Sweet peas (frozen)
  • Mango
  • Pineapple
  • Sweet corn (frozen)
  • Avocado
  • Onion
P.S. some alternative med types think PEAS are NOT GOOD for fertility, FYI. I don't eat them anyway because they make my lips numb--a strange reaction but I know other people get that, too.

P.P.S. remember to check the PLUs for GMOs!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, this is a great list. And they tend to be the produce I buy at my local veggie mart (that is not organic). And yeah, the prices! Husbando just came back from whole foods the other day with organic pasture-raised kosher chicken. Yeah, that's a mouth full! 16 dollars for a pound and a half!

Jim Clark said...

Thanks for the list! I especially like eggplant. There is also a great nutritional supplement from Uri International that takes organic fruits and vegetables and turns them into a powder without going over 100 degrees F so the nutrients aren't lost.

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing I like broccoli!

I've been having to mix and match my organic produce now that prices are up and my income is down (living on a grad student stipend should qualify me for a degree thriftiness)

GreenFertility said...

There's going to be more $ saving tips, stay tuned! Yeah, grad school...