Thursday, April 20, 2006

Yoicks, and Away...Here goes the former Fertility Blog

April is the cruelest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering
Earth in forgetful snow... (T.S. Eliot, The Wasteland)


Starting last January, I was kept warm and fed by writing the Fertility Blog for Adoption.com. I had a nice little beat going, promoting health and wellness, writing product and book reviews, and the occasional celebrity (Brangelina, anyone?)-cum-snarky rant. The people were very nice, and besides needing to do about three posts a day, I had absolutely no complaints.

Unfortunately, a friend/colleague at About.com tipped me off to a slight problem of Adoption.com actively discriminating against gays and singles who want to adopt, and there was even a court case http://www.nclrights.org/cases/adoptiondotcom.htm going on. Eeek!

I will note I had posted blogs vehemently in favor of gays and singles adopting, and no one from the company gave me any grief about it. However, I felt that if institutional discrimination was going on, I couldn't be a part of it. I quit and "I" was erased, but my stuff's still on the site (I heard it was pretty popular, actually). So here I am, feeling free. Welcome!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love T.S. Eliot!

Anyway, I found a great site with forums etc. about fertility for those interested...


http://www.alittlepregnant.com/alittlepregnant/2007/06/i-know-many-peo.html#comment-75096592