But like so much in our modern life, our food is so processed--as is the soil--so these naturally occurring probiotics aren't as numerous as they should be. To get benefits from probiotics, especially if you aren't a big kimchi orkefir fan, you may wish to take a supplement. And if you're going on a course of antibiotics, it's always a good idea to supplement with probiotics.
I really like Jigsaw Health's Essential Blend Probiotics, among other things because they don't have a lot of weird fillers and because they actually contain a human strain of probiotics, which is pretty hard to find.
Probiotics in general may help:
- Restore balance of essential friendly bacteria after antibiotic use.
- Alleviate digestive disorders.
- Enhance synthesis of B-vitamins.
- Absorb calcium, copper, iron, and magnesium.
- Protect against bacterial irritations.
- Ease yeast infections.
- Improve lactose intolerance.
- Improve immune function.