Thursday, August 24, 2006

End of Summer Hair and Skin

(this is my son J at the beach...)

Okay, most regular readers of this blog know I'm anti-sunscreen for all sorts of reasons (let me count the ways: do a search on "sunscreen" on the blog) including it gumming up your body's natural (fertility-important) Vitamin D production. Glad to report J and I and MAN FERTILITY haven't gotten burned at all this year despite weekly trips to the beach (came close in Cali, however), judicious covering up (like with my light-n-cool long-sleeved persimmon-colored T from Bamboosa)

While I'm a much more likely to scoop a wee bit of coconut oil with which to protect my hair from the salt and also smell like a pina colada at the same time, if you want to go all Hollywood, check out this Hamadi hair pomade.

You gotta love a company whose motto is "Tested on actresses,never on animals." Jamal Hammadi came up with his own organic line of hair products after "I couldn't find products rich enough for my clients." Drew Barrymore swears (via People Magazine) "It single-handedly brought my hair back to life." You can get it at places like Fred Segal and The Beverly Hills Beauty Bar.

Ingredients: Shea Butter* (Butyrospermum Parkii), Bergamot (Citrus Bergamia) Oil*, Ylang Ylang (Cananga Odorata) Oil* (*organic).

Big plus: shea butter is a natural sunscreen. I liked it because I (along with Sandra Oh, I suppose) am one of the weird Koreans with wavy/frizzy hair. I could blow dry it straighter but I don't for many reasons (electricity waste! EMFs!). Even though it says it's for short hair, it made me and my long hairlook totally in control (at least on the outside). Also works great as a moisturizer.


Bigger plus: it's all non-GMO, and one of the nicest smelling products (along with Juice Beauty stuff) I've ever tried. Ylang Ylang is also supposed to be an aphrodisiac, active fertility types take note...

(also please note, some of the other Hamadi products had longer ingredient lists that included some not-so-good-for fertility-health items like dimethicone--a silicone-related chemical that can, silicone-like, clog up your skin and hair--etc., caveat emptor!)


Coming up soon: a primer on icky chemicals in "organic" cosmetics!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Marie

Thanks for all your work here. I've been checking in regularly and learning a lot! My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer this summer and your piece about the bras was really alarming.

Take care,
Grace

GreenFertility said...

Hi Grace,

I'm so sorry to hear that! I am working on another piece about lymphatic massage and was just referring to that very post on bras (http://greenfertility.blogspot.com/2006/05/your-bra-can-kill-you.html)...Thanks for reading!!

xo,
ml the fb

GreenFertility said...

p.s. there's a new drink, gt's kombucha (a fermented fungus-y thing, but tastes great), that i've been checking out. the company's founder started making it when his mom had breast cancer--seemed to help. i'll try to dig up his email for you, 'cause i dont' know when i'll get to the post.

GreenFertility said...

the site is

http://www.gtskombucha.com/

drinks4life@gtskombucha.com

GT Dave is very nice.

I think kombucha is like liquid kimchi--lots of probiotics and enzymes and things, totally harmless and possibly helpful. Some of my other weird suggestions really helped a friend whose husband had (note: had!) lymphoma. Feel free to email my privately!

Anonymous said...

To make your hair fabulous you really need to pay a lot of attention to your hair care!