Friday, September 29, 2006

Consumption of coffee is associated with reduced risk of death attributed to inflammatory and cardiovascular diseases in the Iowa Women's Health Study

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition: "Consumption of coffee, a major source of dietary antioxidants, may inhibit inflammation and thereby reduce the risk of cardiovascular and other inflammatory diseases in postmenopausal women."

Well folks, with so much evidence building that coffee may be good for you, how bad for fertility can it be? Half the stuff my great,late Dr. Beer was doing was things to calm my raging immune system.

So in my quest to clear coffee's name, here's some results of my unscientific poll so far:

1. My Chinese medicine person, an expert in fertility, told me to ditch the dairy (haha, I'm way ahead of her) but coffee "as long as you don't drink, like 6 cups a day" was fine.

2. I was out to dinner with new friends, one of whom was pregnant. Of course I immediately pried into her personal life and she was nice enough to inform me that the bebe was her #2, and indeed this time she had been way more relaxed about "a little coffee."http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gif

3. A dear college friend whom I never see without some oversized thing of coffee in her hand said she indeed was "bad" and drank tons before and during her two (successful) pregnancies. I would like to make her feel less "bad." Please share you coffee and conception/miscarriage stories!!! Lloyd, my new buddy at the Year of Coffee blog is also helping me with my unscientific research. Anyone else wanna ask this question on your blog?


Good coffee alert: After cyber-trekking to the Himalayas for some awesome coffee, I decided to try a locally roasted brand, New Harvest. Their darker roasts are fanastic, esp. the Timor (chocolatey) and the French Roast, which has nary a hint of charcoal.

These guys are also at the Brown Wednesday Farmers market, by the way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so funny - such a java junky. I gave up caffeine when I was trying to conceive the last year - just did decaf. The doctors told me I could do one cup a day, but I knew it was having a dramatic affect on my body - would make me sweat - shake etc.. even decaf gives me a lil kick and I have some every now and then.
To me it was a matter of just listening to my body.
I miss it sometimes, but I know for now it is good to stay away.

GreenFertility said...

Oh yes, I think knowing yourself is very important. For me, it keeps me "regular" and is psychically important! It's very acidic to teh body, though, so I do make sure to toss in a little organic chicory ...

And, obviously, you were successful so you knew what your body needed!