Saturday, July 03, 2010

Happy 4th

I hope everyone has a happy, safe Fourth. With my parents being immigrants, they took the Fourth very seriously. I remember even traveling to NYC to celebrate the Bicentennial.

That said, while holidays are a nice time to get together, the weather's usually right for BBQ, is anyone else weirded out about the quasi-flag/patriotism worship this holiday engenders, as kind of a knee-jerk thing? It makes me wonder if this is one of those subtle things that sets up thinking apart as opposed to being part of a larger world.

For instance, Koreans probably have to be as patriotic and love their country as much as anyone. But to envision a holiday celebrating the country, and feeling compelled to fly a flag AND eat and bake renditions of it, would seem really strange, maybe pompous, too.

Sorry if I'm a stick in the mud. But if you're the type who really, really likes an excuse to eat a lot of red and blue food coloring, here's a whole slew of "patriotic" foods to choose from, couresty of the Huffington Post.

1 comment:

Once Upon a Time said...

I have been reading your blog. Very informative. I am a home-birth midwife and have struggled since having my own children with hyperthyroidism, some doctors say Graves, but I refuse to believe that. I know from your blog you are interested in natural remedies, as am I, and I wanted to share with you the latest supplement I have come across. I have been taking it for awhile now, and it has decrease my thyroid symptoms significantly. So much so that I have decreased the medicine I had been taking and hope to come off them completely within the month. The supplement reduces oxidative stress in the body, and is currently being researched by many independent universities. It is called Protandim, and is made up of 5 natural ingredients. If you would like to know more about it then send me an e-mail amykirbow@yahoo.com.