Tuesday, May 02, 2006

MN Book Awards and the "L-word" -- Looooooser!


Ooooooookay, so I lost! Surprise, surprise. It was kind of like putting up my 98-pound weaklingness against Tyson, then afterward consoling me with, "At least a person of color won!"

Similarly, the Minneapolis-Star Tribune crowed: This year's crop of Minnesota Book Awards could bury once and for all anyone's idea that this is a whitebread state. Among the winners are two American Indian women whose works seek to reclaim the treasures of a plundered culture-- Louise Erdrich and Ralph Nader's (remember him?) veep candidate, Winona LaDuke. The Strib also felt that a book about origami, Fold Me a Poem, by Kristine O'Connell George and illustrated by Lauren Stringer (which looked pretty cool) was further proof that Minnesota is no longer a "monoculture" (they said it, I didn't!).

Anyway, I already knew I wasn't going to win (I even went to the bathroom just as my The Novel and Short Story category was coming up--didn't someone actually do this at the Oscar's and they missed their name being called because they were in the can? Help me, inveterate US readers!), so maybe I'll take a second helping of sour grapes 'cause I don't have to eat crow. Yum!

Full text: http://www.startribune.com/384/story/401896.html

No comments: