Thursday, May 15, 2008

Review: Applesac MacBook Sleeve

MAN FERTILITY was nice enough to lend his man muscle to help me drag my iMac to the Apple Store to get it fixed (the dreaded spinning beach ball!). I saw him longingly looking at some of the MacBook laptop cases (he currently uses a sophisticated bubble pak envelope--used!), but I noticed they smelled vinyl-y or chemical-y. Glue, PVC (possible lead hazard), basically yech, as he carries his computer with him every day.

So....Applesac to the rescue! Thick, sustainable hemp and snuggly poly fleece. According to the website, hemp is much stronger and more durable than cotton, and you know how much the FertilityBitch likes to promote hemp for its sustainability and how she chafes at the silly US restrictions on growing it because of its tenuous connection to marijuana (Canada seems to deem it's okay).

At first I thought the thing was TOO SMALL when we got it, but it's made to fit the dimensions of the laptop exactly, so no sloshing around in the messenger bag. A handy pocket on the outside, and an unpretentious look (the website says this may even prevent theft--who looks for a nice laptop in a hemp bag?), no yechy glue smell. I love its simplicity--it's sewn! Plus, it looks a wee bit more professional than the used bubble pak envelope, but will give him street cred with the environmental studies types on campus. Yay Applesac!

Their website: www. applesac.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The style is nice but what about someone who wants a tight fitting stylish macbook sleeve, especially the fashion forward female population. I bought my sleeve from www.bellamela.etsy.com. It is handmade, tightly fitting, offering the scratch resistance I need and fits nicely in my bag. Not to mention affordable.