Monday, November 13, 2006

10 Things You Can Do to Prevent A Thyroid Condition

MAN FERTILITY was asking me the other day, "How come we know so many young people with thyroid cancer? How does one get thyroid cancer?"

FertilityBitch said, "I dunno, I thought you had to live by Chernobyl or something."

Then, faster than a speeding bullet, comes the most excellent thyroid newletter from the thyroid goddess, Mary Shomon into my in-box:

Ask for a Thyroid Collar When X-Rayed

When you get dental x-rays, or x-rays of the head, neck, or collarbone area, does the x-ray technician use a lead collar on your thyroid?

Most likely, your answer is no.

And that means, your thyroid is being needlessly exposed to radiation.
Good Lord, I have never HEARD of this thyroid collar, no less been offered one! My dentist in NYC used to get a full set of Xrays every year...eeeeek! Add that to your yearly mammogram, and all I can say, is, You GLOW, girl! Read Mary's 9 other excellent tips and subscribe to her newsletter here.

tags technorati :

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had thyroid cancer at the age of 25 and as a child i was never exrayed when i went to the dentist.?

GreenFertility said...

There's lots of other things--do you live near a nuclear waste site? Food that is grown in suhc soil and shipped other places can have radiation, too :(