Friday, January 12, 2007

Pregnancy Stories By Age

Here's an interesting site where people contribute their personal stories...it's pretty inspiring in the face of "You're over 35, you're fertility toast," etc. Again, I feel that if you take care of yourself, your fertility can last for quite a while.

From the site:

Pregnancy Stories By Age: "Who says your eggs are too old?
It's not hard to understand the fears surrounding conception. Yes, the statistics show that a woman's fertility declines as she ages, but you must keep in mind that these numbers may have nothing to do with you.

In fact, over the last 20 years, births to women over age 40 have increased by 50%.... And in 1991, 92,000 women in the U.S. over age 40 had babies. That number continues to rise. A lot of forty-something women don't realize how fertile they are, which may account for the fact that they are second only to women ages 18-25 in frequency of abortions.

Who says your eggs are too old? Furthermore, you should know that the vast majority of babies born to women in their forties are healthy. And in healthy women, the vast majority of pregnancies are completed without a hitch.
-Christiane Northrup, M.D., Health Wisdom

5 comments:

Carla said...

I'm sure a lot of that had soemthing to do with the increase of ART over the past few years too.

GreenFertility said...

Could be, Carla! But at least the most recent stories on this site were oe mid forty-type women, many of whom got pregnant naturally and accidentally :)

~elise said...

Off topic...Marie are you working on a new novel?

Carla said...

My grandmother did get pregnant at age 46 over 35 years ago. Though I would like to think of that as more common, I don't want to get my hopes up to high--my mother went though menopause starting at age 40; and at age 28, I almost have NO fertility due to PCOS despite my diet, activity, being fit, herbs, etc. I think its individual rather than age.

GreenFertility said...

Hi Elise--

yes, I'm working on a novel about a doctor--so i've been running around the HOSPITAL. That's why we're not ttc for a few months...ugh, I'm so chemically sensitive (I feel like such a wuss) a day on the floor just knocks me out...

xo,
ml