Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Pregnant with Hypothyroidism? Increase Your Medication!!!

For Ali (applause, applause)...and anyone even thinking about conceiving:

Pregnant with Hypothyroidism? Increase Your Medication!!!: "
If you’re pregnant and hypothyroid, you may need an increase in your dose of thyroid hormone replacement, even just a few weeks after conception, according to research reported in the New England Journal of Medicine.

The study, conducted at Brigham and Women’s Hospital-Harvard Medical School in Boston, found that 85 percent of pregnant women with hypothyroidism --a condition where the thyroid is unable to produce sufficient thyroid hormone -- require an increase in thyroid hormone replacement drug to protect the baby. "**
Hm, coincidentally, Brigham is where I'm headed to check out my wee thyroid, will check back and answer the reader question of how to find a good thyroid doc.

Even more funny, my acupuncture place is just a minute or two away--I'm still trying to figure out if the balancing that's been going on means my thyroid is also more balanced. We'll see!

**And check out What are the normal thyroid levels for each trimester of pregnancy?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Marie!

You should see the change in my husband in regard to Chinese Medicine. He went from calling it "hocus pocus" (just once but telling) to telling everyone about the stinky herbs that he drank for 3 months as part of our treatment.

On the thryoid note, I remember years ago I was retested 6 months after accupunture/herbal treatments and my thryoid had normalized.

Ali

GreenFertility said...

Yes, that is sooooo cool abt your 'roid normalizing; just remember to get it checked just in case--you go thru a lot of immune changes!!!