Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Korea’s Taste of Summer Is a Long, Cool Slurp - New York Times

(photo: New York Times)

There's a pretty good description of naeng-myun (cold gluten-free buckwheat noodles as blogged by the FertilityBitch here. "Noodles nested in cold, mild beef broth topped with slices of tender beef brisket, sweet Asian pear, lightly pickled white radish, cucumber and half a hard-boiled egg" plus some places where you can treat yourself (and cool down) in NYC.

However, in all my naeng-myung eating in the States, I've never seen yet it topped with shaved ice, you know, the Sno-cone stuff, like they do in Korea, which makes it extra sublime. But I've actually been to all these restaurants listed in the article, and I will attest they are all good.

And despite what they say about North Korean naeng-myung topped w/beef brisket (my parents are North Korean), the traditional way to eat it is topped with skate, which tastes like a chewy prickly eraser.

(N.B. GLUTEN FREE peeps, sometimes when made from scratch, the restaurants throw in a little wheat flour maybe to make it last longer(?). "Real" naeng-myun is just buckwheat and sometimes a little potato starch, and it's usually sold that way in the Korean stores).

Read the rest of the article here.

And, as always, if you need my account:

USERNAME: GreenFertility
PASSWORD: GreenFertility

Answer to secret question: soylent green

3 comments:

~elise said...

Have you been to Dok Suni restaurant in NYC? I have their cook book and really enjoyed it. I think it is in alph. city. I didn't have time last trip to stop by, but if it's good, I'll put it on my list!

~elise said...

Have you been to Dok Suni restaurant in NYC? I have their cook book and really enjoyed it. I think it is in alph. city. I didn't have time last trip to stop by, but if it's good, I'll put it on my list!

GreenFertility said...

Oh Yes, Dok Suni is one of my favorites for "home cookin'" type Korean food (although it's gone a little more upscale). My dad was into this dried-cabbage leaf stew (baechu guk), totally poor person food, but it brought back memories. I love their bi bim bap.