For people worried about coffee's caffeine (I'm not!), teas' tannins and caffeine, and the myriad contrainidications (and they are out there) in different kind of herbs, especially if pregnant or breastfeeding, the Rooibos, African Red Bush tea is for you. It has a pretty red color and mild, sweet taste that I don't mind drinking all day...
It seems to be very nourishing and full of antioxidants, great for for anyone, pregnant or not. In fact, it's actually used as a colic remedy in Africa.
Here's some info I got from Cook's Corner:
- It has a very soothing effect on the central nervous system and can be strongly recommended for people suffering from irritability, stress, headaches, nervous tension and mild depression or hypertension.
- Helps with insomnia, disturbed sleep patterns and headaches. Have a cup of Rooibos before you get ready for bed to ensure a good night's sleep.
- Studies have shown Rooibos is beneficial in the management of allergies like hay fever and asthma.
- Relieves stomach and digestive problems like nausea, vomiting, heartburn, syomach ulcers and constipation.
- Helps to control your appetite thus can be beneficial in weight loss. Also helps in controlling your blood sugar level.
- Since Rooibos contains no oxalic acid it can be safely used by people suffering from kidney stones.
- Scientists have found that Rooibos tea contains a mimic of the enzyme Super Oxide Dimutase(S.O.D.), an anti-oxidant which attacks free radicals and limits their damaging effects. ("Free radicals," is the toxic by-product of natural biological processes that can damage healthy cells, weaken our immune system, lead to cancer. The harmful oxygen also contributes to aging, making us look older than we really are!and it contributes to aging.)
- Mothers find Rooibos tea to be of benefit in common infant ailments like colic, stomach cramps, fussy babies. When given in addition to babies normal feeding , Rooibos supplements the daily intake of calcium , manganese and fluoride needed by growing children for strong teeth and bones. Rooibos is effective for relieving skin irritaions such as diaper rash and eczema. Brew a cup then let cool down and apply to irrited area. Mothers can also benefit from drinking Rooibos tea. During pregnancy and breast feeding, the body’s iron levels become depleted.
The alpha hydroxy acid and zinc contained in Rooibos promotes healthy, smooth skin. This wonder tea is especially useful when applied to skin irritations like itchy skin, eczema, sunburns, diaper rash, acne and rosacea.
I recommend organic and fair trade Red Bush tea from The Groovy Mind (they also make great eco-conscious gift baskets...)